While the current Qualcomm Snapdragon generation runs at 1GHz, the newly announced chipset is a dual-CPU 1.5GHz single-chip solution, manufactured at 45nm by TSMC(TSM). Those are specs that bring the ARM architecture well into the Intel Atom wheel-house, albeit with better battery life and a highly integrated single chip solution.
The new Qualcomm chipsets will start sampling by 2H2009. In the mean time, various vendors are building netbooks with the current 1GHz Snapdragon generation, with products expected 1H2009. Following are some of the specs of the announced QSD8672:
- Processor: 1.5GHz dual-CPU (45nm)
- Wireless: GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, 3G
- HD video: 1080p recording and playback
- mobile TV: MediaFLO, DVB-H and ISDB-T
- graphics: Integrated 2D and 3D
- displays: resolutions up to WSXGA (1440 x 900), sizes from 9 to 12 inches
- Supported OS: Linux and Windows Mobile
Of note, Qualcomm previously promised a "big presence in Snapdragon-based devices at CES 2009".
Disclosure: no positions